Thursday 17 November 2011

Dear Benjamin Hayslip et al

This was supposed to be just an update, but...

I rented a car tonight to drive to Ajax and sit with Alex to finalize the master for the demo disk. We did exactly the same routine two nights ago. But after taking 'one last listen' it dawned on me that the vocals in one of the songs were too low. It shames me to say that it came down to the wire to realize it. T'was a stressful discovery, since I was scheduled to send the disk off for copies yesterday morning. But Jo and Al came through and got the mix revised in a jiffy. It's been hard doing anything in a jiffy thus far, trading files back and forth online and working around three different schedules. But when the chips were down, the gents stepped up and got 'er done. Thanks guys.

So... I was taking the on-ramp to the 401 when Martina McBride's "I'm Gonna Love You Through It" came on the radio. By the end of the first chorus, I was choked up. By the end of the second verse, there were rivers down my cheeks.

      She said, "I don't think I can do this anymore"
      He took her in his arms and said "That's what my love is for"

I was reminded of something I'd read early today from an interview with producer Anthony Smith:

"A great song goes right past the brain straight to the heart." Indeed. Well done, writers Benjamin Hayslip, Sonya Isaacs and James Yeary.

The lines may not have the same impact written on a page as they do in the context of the story and the performance. So go have a listen. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment