Thursday 24 November 2011

Ten days till Nashville!

Demo disk at the plant
Well, I managed to get the demo CD artwork and audio master off to the plant on Monday morning. Expect to get the disks back today or tomorrow since it was just a short run of 50 disks. Looking forward to showing you what it looks like.

New website in the works
singalakesong.com will soon be complete. I got a bunch of photography done on the weekend and wrote the text last night. It’s a pretty simple little site so it hopefully won’t take long for my friend David to get it coded.

The site will have a minimal design with a plain white background. So I wanted some portraits that would blend in cleanly, with a seamless white background. So I asked my ol’ pal Google and he pointed me to http://vimeo.com/9926921. What a great practical explanation.

So, on Friday, I hightailed it to a photo shop downtown after work to rent lighting gear or the weekend. Then I spent all Saturday moving furniture and learning how to set up and use the lights! A lot of trial and error, let me tell ya, a LOT! But it was really interesting and fun. That’s how I learn best, when there’s a specific project with a deadline.

My friend Lauren came over on Sunday to pull the trigger which was awesome since she has a much fancier camera than mine! Space was a bit tight in my apartment, but we managed to pull off the lighting setup. I think we got something ridiculous like 700 shots, which should cover it… since I only need four for the website!

Scheduling in progress
My ultimate goal is to get two scheduled meetings a day for the five days I’m in Nashville. So far, I have three… fingers crossed to line up more next week! Most folks are off work the rest of this week and Monday for the Thanksgiving break. So I’ll have a phone flurry ahead of me next Tuesday through Friday.

I’m really excited about what I’ve got lined up so far. My first meeting is with a veteran songwriter and producer who is the SOCAN liaison in Nashville. Let me tell ya, I am so grateful for my membership in SOCAN and the opportunity it gives me to meet this man. Holy cow. I also have appointments booked with two NSAI mentors I’ve already spoke with one of them a couple times on the phone and she’s been very gracious and generous with her time to answer questions and offer advice. I must say, I’ve had nothing but great interactions with the Nashville NSAI folks so far and I’m really looking forward to finally meeting them in person. I haven’t talked to the other fellow yet, but I’m really looking forward to getting his feedback on my songs, since he’s had cuts with some pretty big names! I think I'm a mix of excited and scared half to death about that session.

I should also be able to line up meets with an ASCAP rep through a referral by the owner of SOCAN House, where I’m staying all week (thank you again SOCAN!). Hopefully I can set something up with a BMI rep too.

Boy, am I’m ever getting stoked now!


No comments:

Post a Comment